Answer number as indicated. Each question must be answered in 5-6 paragraphs. Each paragraph must be 5-10 sentences each. No plagiarism. Uses sources below for help. Do not cite powerpoints,
1. Compare the frescoes of the Knossos palace to those found in the West Building at Akrotiri on Thera. Do their subjects indicate differing ways of life by those inhabiting these buildings? Do their color palates differ, and if so do these differences imply different levels of wealth? Feel free to make any other comparisons you believe are appropriate.
2. Compare the approaches of Heinrich Schliemann and Sir Arthur Evans to their excavations. Do the thirty years between the start of their excavations (1870 for Troy; 1900 for Knossos) bring any changes to Evans management? Do both men do things no archaeologist would do today?
3. Mysterious scripts called Linear A and Linear B were unearthed on Crete (A) and at Mycenae (B). Michael Ventris and John Chadwick with the assistance of Alice Kober broke the code of Linear B. Within the last ten years, several archaeologists have claimed at least partial decoding of Linear A.
What are the characteristics of each? Why are there special challenges in decoding Linear A? Based on your research and on what we have said, do you believe that the decoding of Linear A has been successful?
Be sure to start with a clear thesis of your own and use specific references to the Odyssey to support your thesis.
4. The Acropolis of Athens, the citadel of the city, has mythic and historical connections with the founding of the city datable to at least the tenth-century Mycenaean period. Select ONE of these mythic associations and relate it to the topographical placement of its buildings and / or paths of access.
You might (but by no means must) consider the Panathenaic procession and the route it traveled to dress the statue of the goddess; OR the contest of Athena and Poseidon for the naming of the city and its location on the citadel; OR one of the variants on the birth of Erechtheus and the placement of the Erechtheum; OR any other you may prefer.
5. Select and discuss one of the buildings or areas of the Agora of Athens and consider its placement. Does its immediate vicinity have any special relevance, whether practical or historical, to its function?
You might (but by no means must) consider one of the stoai (sing. stoa); OR the tholos; OR the metroon; OR the law courts and empanelment of the dikastes; OR any other building or area which you believe has an important municipal function.
6. The ancient pilgrimage sites we have discussed have common features, not only in their location but in their function(s). Choose any TWO noting how they compare and differ as well as how such comparisons and differences complement their function(s).