The essay must be word-processed. 1800 -2000 words = about 6 full pages with 1″ margins on each side using the font Times News Roman set at 12 point. You should title your paper. You should have a header. The paragraph you are reading is double space. It also is in MLA format. If you are new to MLA format make all of your paragraphs look like this one. If you know how to put the paper in MLA format, put it in MLA format. Otherwise make all the paragraphs look like this one.
The essay should contain; what I am looking for:
1. An introduction that leads us in.
2. A thesis statement positioned in a predictable spot in the introduction (second to last sentence in the introduction). Briefly, a thesis is your claim, your main point, the heart of your essay, or if you like driving, the steering wheel of your essay. We should be able to read your thesis and know what you are going to argue, describe, or explain in your essay.
3. In the body of your essay develop at least three ideas that support and defend your thesis. This is 132 so you don’t have to limit your ideas to 3. Also, your ideas don’t have to be 1 paragraph. If it takes 2 or 3 to fully realize your idea, OK.
4. You must have a conclusion that concludes. Restate your thesis, but do not reproduce it. How has your thesis changed over the course of writing? Conclusions that conclude: What are your suggestions? What are your predictions? Sum up your analysis.
5. You must have a Works Cited page.
6. All sources must contain author names: first and last (sources without authors have to be approved by the teacher)
7. No reference sources may be used as secondary sources.
8. You can’t use another student’s paper. (No: blogs, discussion forums, social network cites, personal websites)
(You must make an effort to incorporate at least 6-10 outside texts into your paper.
I.E. 1 primary source + 5 secondary minimum)
CHOOSE 1 TOPIC BELOW TO DEVELOP YOUR ESSAY:
1. Discuss social class and Night Waitress. (See Hull, Night Waitress pp. 42-43)
2. How might narcissism be a heroic achievement in positive thinking (line 8)? (Hoagland, What Narcissism Means to Me p. 478)
3. Is Acquainted with the Night a hopeful or depressing poem? (Frost, Acquainted with the Night p. 1114)
4. What is your impression of the bog woman in Punishment? Why is the speaker interested in a woman who has been dead for hundreds of years? (See Heaney, Punishment pp. 662-663)