Abnormal Psychology Paper
Exploration of a psychological disorder
1) Choose a psychological disorder you are interested in. If taking this class with a friend please do not choose the same disorder as your paper will be run through Turnitin and any similarities will be flagged and this could potentially harm your grade.
2) Research your topic. The textbook is a great starting point. Avoid Wikipedia.
3) 1st paragraph introduce your topic. (Do not say “I am going to talk about…) No “I’s” in this paper.
4) Include typical symptoms of the disorder.
5) What are the different theories on the causes of the disorder (biological-psycho-social, etc.)?
6) What specific treatments, therapeutic and medication, are used for the disorder?
7) Prevalence (i.e. age, culture, family patterns)
8) Interesting facts about the disorder (i.e. popular or famous people with the disorder)
9) Include at least 3 scholarly resources.
(Students will lose points for using the following: DO NOT USE: simplypsychology.com or K. Cherry at verywellminded.com, goodtherapy.com and NO Wikiapedia) Locate scholarly sources to complete the paper. Websites ending in .org, .edu or .gov are typically scholarly. The SCC online library is also easily accessible.
10) Important Information: Paper should include APA formatted citations and a references section, and title page. The paper should be 5 pages in length, First page is the title page, pages 2, 3, & 4 content pages (full pages of content–the actual paper that you write), 5th page references page.
If you do not have a reference page or internal citations, you will receive a ZERO, because you have plagiarized. When using other peoples thoughts, ideas and/or words you must give them credit (i.e. citations). Plagiarism will not be tolerated and you will receive a zero for the assignment. When in doubtcite.
Disorder List (organized by category and subcategories), students choose one of the subcategories. There are more disorders in the textbook, feel free to locate other disorders:
Psychotic Disorder difficulty recognizing reality
Mood Disorders disturbances of emotions
Major depressive disorder
Mixed Anxiety Disorder
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Seasonal affective disorder
Anxiety Disorder unexplained feelings of apprehensions and tenseness
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
Phobias (pick one)
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
p. 87 table 4.1 you can pick one Anxiety Disorder
Dissociative Disorder persons sense of self separates from the individuals memories, thoughts or feelings
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Somatoform Disorder physical problems occur for psychological reasons.
Personality Disorder unpleasant and peculiar personality patterns
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
Trauma and Stress-related Disorders
Acute Stress Disorder